Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Acanthamoeba Keratitis Blog 6 (21/1/2015)

  • 102 days since first symptoms. 
  • 21 days until expected clearance date.
Hiya. Some very good news. At my eye clinic appointment today, I was very pleased to learn that it appears that the amoeba is gone from my eye! :D :D :D :D :D

 Now, it's not 100% certain just yet, there could be other parts of my eye where it may be hiding, but I was told to start gradually reducing the amount of eye-drops I'm taking and see how that goes. Fingers crossed now that it's gone for good! I'm so incredibly happy that this horrible fuckin disease has an end in sight. I would also like to extend a massive thank you to all the lovely doctors and nurses at University Hospital Limerick for guiding me through this, as well as my friends and family for putting up with my perpetual whining over the last few months.

Also, to all of my friends who are also contact lens wearers, for the love of god, don't fuck around with your contact lenses. Don't wear them when you sleep; don't wear them swimming; if they're dailies, don't re-use them; if they're monthlies, make sure you fuckin clean your contact lens case EVERY DAY, don't store them in water, and use the correct type of contact lens disinfectant. Not following these precautions properly left me with a fucked up eye for 4 months, and that's just the mild version of the disease. More severe versions can result in the need for a cornea transplant, or even having the eye removed altogether. I only just about narrowly avoided this. So yeh. To reiterate my point: DON'T FUCK AROUND WITH YOUR CONTACTS.
 

1 comment:

  1. So pleased for you...im still fighting the little B!...but hopefully one day!..have a fantastic summer!!!!

    ReplyDelete